Love Will Tear Us Apart Leaf Illustration, Seasonal Affective Disorder, And Experimenting With Color

Love will tear us apart, lyrics by Joy Division, inspired this heart shaped leaf which eventually decays, a metaphor for the title of this leaf.

 I suppose the dreary, dark, arctic weather in Montreal has inspired me to draw a series of leaves decaying and shrivelling up.  It's harder to draw from nature when there are no leaves to analyze and draw inspiration from as in the summer and fall months. Motivation is difficult when there is so little sunshine and inane freezing temperatures.

Many people in Northern Climates struggle with SAD or Seasonal affective disorder. Many of my friends are feeling it, I'm feeling it, But one has to learn to do things that inspire you, like art. And discipline. Kick ones self in the ass and draw, so to speak;-) Also, getting a therapy light and taking vitamin D supplements which have been proven to work. Oh and forcing yourself to exercise helps tremendously.

My other way to kill the white beast is to start experimenting with colour and different mediums, I've always worked in black and white mostly, so colour has been a challenge. But I won't lie, the fun part is purchasing new supplies!

More on my color experimentation in my next post!


Comments

Popular Posts