New Favourite Sketchbook And Marker Review

The more I draw, the more I come to know what I like in terms of paper and sketchbooks. As a sketchbook, I've been using Canson Mix Media for a while and though the paper is good quality, the stark white pages don't quite give the muted effect I'm after. I prefer paper that doesn't look bleached.

In comes the new Strathmore Vision Mixed Media sketch book which I recently picked up at the art store. Firstly the pages are a gorgeous off-white hue which I find makes my style of illustrations pop really nicely, the way I want them too. The paper isn't the thickest so there is some bleed through if you are using layers of alcohol based markers or brush pens. That would be the only down side. I have not tested this paper with watercolour but acrylic seems to perform well on it.

The pages are perforated so you can easily tear out sheets if you need too. Plus the gorgeous steel blue cover is customizable, which is a great bonus feature. I've posted a picture below.

There are 70 pages in my 7x10 inch version and I cannot wait to fill it!

The right supplies make the experience of drawing so much more enjoyable, for me at least.

Now I am testing some new markers so stay tuned for that post!


Some sketches for example:




The Cover:
The Customizable Cover (my version):



Now on to the topic of color experimentation.

1) Markers

I've purchased a few Copic Markers and the Touch twin Marker by Shinhanart alcohol Markers (which are a close dupe to the pricey Copics - but not quite as seamless and without the incredible Copic colour selection).  But I am enjoying these alcohol based Markers, but still figuring them out. I've read that adding a layer of coloured pencil over your alcohol based markers gives more of a depth rather than just the markers alone, which can feel flat sometimes.

Dollar Store Markers

And yes, I've purchased dollar store markers as well, both double ended  alcohol markers.
The first brand of dollar store alcohol markers is called Artist's Series. And they work great, I was quite impressed. The pens are bulky, and colour selection very limited but they are a great option to start experimenting with these types of markers. The other brand is called Craft. If you can find them, you can buy all of them for under 20$

Tombow Markers

These are watercolor brush tip markers and they are amazing, the brush tips are precise and color selection is vast and beautiful. Quite pricey but worth buying a few of your favourite colors. People often use them for calligraphy and bullet journaling as well as art. I highly recommend these markers.

Koi Markers

Also water based, the brush tip is versatile and the color selection is impressively vibrant. I only have 2 at the moment but will surely be purchasing more. They, like most of the markers I mentioned can be purchased individually. But yes, the colours are fun and lift the downtrodden winter spirit!

Sakura Brush Pens

The brush tip is more difficult to control on these markers, but the color payoff is great. I enjoy mixing both alcohol markers with water based ones, which I know is a no-no, but I've had some pretty interesting results with the process.

Fabre Catel Markers

I believe these are India ink, at least the greys and blacks are. The brush tips work wonders and the colors are really pigmented - just so vibrant and beautiful. I do find though that these markers do not mix well with the above mentioned markers. 

Favourites

My favourite markers, no surprise are the Copic Markers. The do not streak and the colours, vibrant and muted are really stunning. The Touch Twin Marker is a close second. But tied for first place are the Tombow markers - they are a dream to use, the glide beautifully (like the copics) and the colors are also gorgeous. And blending with all three of these markers (in the same category) is easy and produce excellent results.

Comments

Popular Posts